Don't know your derailleur from your shifters?
No worries! Each month Goldcross Cycles holds a two hour hands-on course that will arm you with all the basic and advanced knowledge and skills to keep your bike running smoothly. Our workshop certified mechanics will explain things clearly and simply to you. You'll never feel silly asking us a question. See below the form for what you'll learn on the evening.
Drop in your details below and we'll send you an email when our next Smartrider maintenance class is on. Once you have registered your interest, we'll let you know each month when the next course is on. You can book in online after you have received the email. We keep the group sizes small, so you'll need to get in quick.
Our basic SmartRider course covers:
Parts Identification: Talk the talk
- Learn all the parts on your bike and what they do, from the headset to the cranks.
Chain: It's a little bit greasy.
- How to clean your chain
- All the dos and don’ts when it comes to looking after your chain
- Chain lubricants: which type to use for each application
Lubrication: Don't be dirty, be good and clean!
- How and when to lubricate your chain, cables, brakes and derailleurs to keep it all running smoothly
Gears: they make the chain go up and down.
- Learn about the different types of gears on all types of bikes
- Handy tips on how to use your gears to get the most out of them
- DIY gear maintenance and adjustments that you can do at home
Brakes: you'll learn to love them.
- How to check brake wear
- Basic brake maintenance to make sure you stop when you need to
Tyres: the wheels on the bike go round and round.
- Correct tyre pressures for your style of riding
- Checking for wear and damage
- The correct tyre for different uses
How to repair a flat tyre
- Correct procedure for removing tyre, replacing tube and replacing tyre
- How to get home on a slashed tyre
- The importance of rim tape
- Basic tools and spares to take with you on each ride
- Tools and spares to keep at home to be able to carry out basic repairs and maintenance